Action Pest Services provides treatment for American cockroaches. These cockroaches are sometimes called waterbugs or palmetto bugs. Although their name makes them sound like they’re native to America they actually originated from Africa in the 1600s. They are the largest type of cockroach that infests homes in South Carolina. The peak season for American roaches is in the fall with October often being the worst month of the year.
American Cockroach Identification
There are several characteristics that help identify if your cockroach issue is from the American cockroach.
- Color: Brown with a reddish tint and light brown to yellow markings on the back of the head and neck area.
- Size: Adults can grow up to 2 inches and even 3 inches in rare cases.
- Behavior: Adult American roaches can fly short distances.
- Droppings and Eggs: When infestations move into a home small droppings and eggs can be found under kitchen appliances and kitchen and bathroom sinks.
- American cockroaches are most often found living outside of homes and in garages.
- Images of American cockroaches can be found from the National Pest Management Association »
Conducive Conditions for American Cockroaches
There are a few conditions that can increase the chances of an American cockroach infestation:
- Dirty gutters full of debris
- Leaf debris and excessive mulch and moisture around the foundation of a home
- Poor drainage or sitting water around the foundation of the home
- Cluttered garage
American Cockroach Control Tips for Homeowners
There are several things homeowners can do to prevent and reduce American cockroach infestations:
- Keep rain gutters clean and free of debris.
- Do not leave leaves and excessive mulch around the foundation of the home.
- Keep garages clean and organized without stacking items along garage floors and walls.
- Keep the floors under stoves, refrigerators and other appliances clean and crumb-free.
- Call a professional pest control service to receive proper treatments of baits and other preventive measures.
American cockroach infestation can quickly increase and become a permanent issue. If you have had more than a single outdoor sighting or are already seeing these pests in your garage or home call Action Pest Services for a customized treatment plan.