Action Pest Services provides treatment for bees. Bees are pollinating insects that are beneficial to the health of our environment, unfortunately bees can give painful stings to humans or pets when agitated. There are many different species of bees, and it’s important to accurately identify the type of bees around your home because they can easily be mistaken for other stinging insects such as wasps or hornets.
There are several different species of bees found in South Carolina. The three main species include:
- Bumble bee: Bumble bees are large, display yellow and black stripes on their hairy abdomens, and hind legs that carry lumpy pollen sacks.
- Carpenter bee: Carpenter bees are medium sized, and generally resemble bumble bees, despite from the thin dispersion of hair on its abdomen.
- Honey bee: Honey bees are smaller, golden-yellow in color, with a thick dispersion of golden hairs on its head.
- Hornet: Hornets are larger than bumble bees, at between 18-38 mm in length, with black and yellow striped coloring, and a long, robust shape.
- Wasp: Wasps are between 16-20 mm in length, Have a solid black or brown color with yellow or reddish markings, and long legs.
- Images of Bees can be found from the National Pest Management Association »
Conducive Conditions for Bees
There are a few conditions that can increase the chances of a bee infestation:
- A large garden full of flowers and other pollinating plants.
- Outdoor furniture that bees can burrow in to, looking for a new place to live.
- Sugary substances left outside, such as a soda spill inside a garbage can.
Bee Control Tips for Homeowners
There are several things homeowners can do to prevent and reduce bee infestations:
- Plant flowers and pollinating plants further away from the house.
- Periodically inspect outdoor furniture for bees.
- Keep garbage cans and patios clean.
- Call a professional pest control service to receive proper treatments of baits and other preventive measures.
A bee infestation can quickly increase and become a permanent issue. If you have had more than a single outdoor sighting or are already seeing these pests in your garage or home call Action Pest Services for a customized treatment plan.