Action Pest Services provides treatment for beetles. Beetles are insects that have a hard shell body that protects their wings. Many different species of beetles can be found throughout the United States, but some of the main species that can become pests are the Japanese beetle, grain beetle, and powderpost beetles. Although most beetles are not harmful to humans, some species can infest structures or become invasive, lawn-pests.
There are several characteristics that help identify a Japanese beetle, grain beetle, and powderpost beetle.
- Japanese beetles are between 8 mm – 13 mm in length, they are metallic green in color, and have copper-colored wings.
- Grain beetles are smaller, getting up to 3 mm in length, they are brown in color, and have six teeth on either side of their body.
- Powderpost beetles are between 3 mm – 7 mm in length, mostly reddish-brown in color, have an oval shaped body, and antenna.
- Images of beetles can be found from the National Pest Management Association »
Conducive Conditions for Beetles
There are a few conditions that can increase the chances of a beetle infestation:
- Plants that cause shady, moist areas and excess vegetation or mulch around the home that may harbor insects.
- Warm, humid areas with excess moisture near food sources, especially bathrooms or basements.
- Messy and disorganized food storage with spilled food.
- Cracks in the foundation, siding, or window panes that serve as points of entry and allow insects to come in to the home.
Beetle Control Tips for Homeowners
There are several things homeowners can do to prevent and reduce beetle infestations:
- Trim back or remove plants that cause shady, moist areas and excess vegetation or mulch around the home.
- Repair and dehumidify any areas of the home with excess, built-up moisture.
- Clean up and organize any food storage or pantries.
- Inspect the exterior of your home, including the foundation, siding, windows, and doorways regularly to ensure there are no points of entry.
A beetle infestation can quickly increase and become a permanent issue. If you have had more than a single outdoor sighting or are already seeing these pests in your garage or home call Action Pest Services for a customized treatment plan.