Action Pest Services provides treatment for booklice. Booklice are small insects that can live in old buildings, furniture, or food supply. These are not the same type of lice that can get in to your hair and spread to others, but a type of lice that feed on fungi and molds. Booklice do not cause any harm or damage to humans or pets, but their presence can be unsightly and annoying.
There are several characteristics that help identify a booklice.
- Booklice range in size, usually between 1 – 10 mm in length.
- Booklice are soft-bodied insects with long antenna.
- Booklice are white, grey, or brown in color with an almost transparent appearance.
- Booklice may or may not have wings
- Images of booklice can be found from the National Pest Management Association »
Conducive Conditions for Booklice
There are a few conditions that can increase the chances of a booklice infestation:
- Areas of access moisture in which fungi and mold can grow, in or around the home.
- Old tree stumps, branches, and stick piles around the outside of the house.
- A disorganized garage with clutter and storage on the ground, especially around or leaning up against the walls.
Booklice Control Tips for Homeowners
There are several things homeowners can do to prevent and reduce booklice infestations:
- Repair and dehumidify areas of the home that have built up access moisture.
- Tidy up the areas around your home, removing any old stumps, branches, sticks, old play-sets, or other larger toys.
- Clean up and organize the storage space in your garage.
A booklice infestation can quickly increase and become a permanent issue. If you have had more than a single outdoor sighting or are already seeing these pests in your garage or home call Action Pest Services for a customized treatment plan.