Action Pest Services provides treatment for flies. Flies are one of the most commonly found type of pests throughout the world, and they thrive in close interaction to human spaces. Three of the main species of flies that can become pests, in South Carolina, are the house fly, horse fly, and fruit fly. Flies live in, and create, unsanitary conditions and have the potential to expose people and pets to bacteria and pathogens.
There are several characteristics that help identify house, horse, and fruit flies.
- House flies are usually between 4 mm – 7 mm in length, they are dark grey in color, and display a distinct pattern of four black lines on their thorax.
- Horse flies are usually between 10 mm – 30 mm in length, they are grey or black in color, and have large metallic-purple or green eyes.
- Fruit flies are around 3 mm in length, are brown or tan in color, and have large metallic-red eyes.
- Images of flies can be found from the National Pest Management Association »
Conducive Conditions for Flies
There are a few conditions that can increase the chances of a fly infestation:
- Dirty and messy spaces inside the house, especially a dirty kitchen with old garbage bags and dirty dishes in the sink.
- Cracks in the foundation, siding, or window panes that serve as points of entry and allow insects to come in to the home.
Fly Control Tips for Homeowners
There are several things homeowners can do to prevent and reduce fly infestations:
- Keep all areas of the home clean, sanitized, and clutter free.
- Inspect the exterior of your home, including the foundation, siding, windows, and doorways regularly to ensure there are no points of entry.
A fly infestation can quickly increase and become a permanent issue. If you have had more than a single outdoor sighting or are already seeing these pests in your garage or home call Action Pest Services for a customized treatment plan.