Action Pest Services provides treatment for mosquitoes. Mosquitoes are flying insects that feed on the blood of humans or animals. Mosquitoes breed during the warmer months and lay their eggs in or around still water. Mosquitos prey on humans and pets, causing itchy bites, and can spread diseases such as malaria, West Nile virus, and zika.
There are several characteristics that help identify a mosquito.
- Mosquitoes are between .15 – .4 inches in length, have long and slender bodies, and three pairs of long legs. Mosquitoes have a long beak-like, sharp proboscis, which they use to suck blood.
- Images of mosquitos can be found from the National Pest Management Association »
Conducive Conditions for mosquitoes
There are a few conditions that can increase the chances of a mosquito infestation:
- Areas of standing water, ponds, or lakes on the property or in the immediate surround area.
- Plants that cause shady, moist areas and excess vegetation or mulch around the home that may harbor insects.
- Cracks in the foundation, siding, or window panes that serve as points of entry and allow insects to come in to the home.
Mosquito Control Tips for Homeowners
There are several things homeowners can do to prevent and reduce mosquito infestations:
- Drain or remove any standing water around the home.
- Trim back or remove plants that cause shady, moist areas and excess vegetation or mulch around the home.
- Inspect the exterior of your home, including the foundation, siding, windows, and doorways regularly to ensure there are no points of entry.
A mosquito infestation can quickly increase and become a permanent issue. If you have had more than a single outdoor sighting or are already seeing these pests in your garage or home call Action Pest Services for a customized treatment plan.