There are several species of ants that are common to South Carolina.
- Carpenter Ants: Carpenter ants are between 3.4 to 13 mm in length, are mostly black with a reddish tint, and have large mandibles.
- Fire Ants: Fire ants are between 1.6 and 5 mm in length, are reddish in color, and display a visible stinger on the thorax.
- Odorous House Ants: Odorous house ants are between 2.4 and 3.3 mm in length, are brown or black, and have an unevenly shaped thorax.
- Acrobat Ants: Acrobat ants are under 5.4 mm in length, dark brown, have heart-shaped abdomens, and can release an unpleasant smelling pheromone when agitated.
- Argentine Ants: Argentine ants are between 2.2 and 2.8 mm in length, can range from light brown to very dark brown, and have long, segmented antennae.
- Images of Ants can be found from the National Pest Management Association »
Conducive Conditions for Ants
There are a few conditions that can increase the chances of an Ant infestation:
- Unsanitary conditions within the home. Dirty dishes left in the sink, old garbage waiting to be taken out, and food spills and crumbs in hard-to-reach or unseen areas.
- Previous termite or carpenter ant damage in walls or floors.
- Moist areas of mulch or debris around the outside of the house.
Ant Control Tips for Homeowners
There are several things homeowners can do to prevent and reduce Ant infestations:
- Keep the floors under stoves, refrigerators and other appliances clean and crumb-free.
- Empty garbage cans regularly.
- Do not leave areas of moist leaves and excessive mulch around the foundation of the home.
- Repair any previous Termite or Carpenter ant damage in the home.
- Call a professional pest control service to receive proper treatments of baits and other preventive measures.
An ant infestation can quickly increase and become a permanent issue. If you have had more than a single outdoor sighting or are already seeing these pests in your garage or home call Action Pest Services for a customized treatment plan.
“Great service, fair price and they work with you. Anytime we've had a problem they were able to help us quickly and very effectively. I highly recommend Action Pest Services.”- Jess E.
“Matt is professional and friendly, great with kids and pets, and obviously cares about the work he performs. Today it was ants and Matt spent over an hour treating inside and outside the house. Action is hands down one of the best.”- Bryan K.
“The whole staff is very nice and very personable. They will walk you through the different pest control programs they offer. If a problem comes up in-between services, they are quick to come back out and treat. I have been a customer for over 8 years.”- Jenn B.