Action Pest Services provides treatment for carpenter ants. Carpenter ants are insects that live in large colonies of over 50,000 or more ants. For the many thousands of worker and swarmer ants in a colony, there is usually only one queen that will lay every egg. Once the carpenter ant colony reaches over two years in age, it can start producing swarmer ants, which come out in masses from May to August in the eastern part of the country, and from February to June in the western part of the country. Although carpenter ants are harmless to humans, their bite can be mildly painful, and they can cause damage to structures by digging tunnels in wood to build their homes.
Carpenter Ants Identification
There are several characteristics that help identify a carpenter ant.
- Carpenter Ants are usually around 15 mm in length.
- Carpenter Ants are black or red in color.
- Carpenter Ants have shiny and smooth abdomens, with large mandibles, and antenna
- Images of carpenter ants can be found from the National Pest Management Association »
Conducive Conditions for Carpenter Ants
There are a few conditions that can increase the chances of a Carpenter ant infestation:
- Weathered or unfinished wood around the outside of the home.
- Wood siding on the exterior of the home.
- Unrepaired, old Carpenter Ant damage.
Carpenter Ants Control Tips for Homeowners
There are several things homeowners can do to prevent and reduce carpenter ant infestations:
- Remove or finish any wood around the outside of the home.
- Replace old wood siding.
- Repair and previous carpenter ant damage.
- Inspect the exterior of your home regularly for carpenter ant damage.
A carpenter ant infestation can quickly increase and become a permanent issue. If you have had more than a single outdoor sighting or are already seeing these pests in your garage or home call Action Pest Services for a customized treatment plan.
“Great service, fair price and they work with you. Anytime we've had a problem they were able to help us quickly and very effectively. I highly recommend Action Pest Services.”- Jess E.
“Matt is professional and friendly, great with kids and pets, and obviously cares about the work he performs. Today it was ants and Matt spent over an hour treating inside and outside the house. Action is hands down one of the best.”- Bryan K.
“The whole staff is very nice and very personable. They will walk you through the different pest control programs they offer. If a problem comes up in-between services, they are quick to come back out and treat. I have been a customer for over 8 years.”- Jenn B.