Action Pest Services provides treatment for earwigs. Earwigs are small, crawling insects that got their name from the myth that they burrow into peoples ears, but this is not backed by science. Although earwigs can give a painful pinch when agitated, they are not harmful to humans or pets, and do not cause damage to structures but their presence can be unsightly and annoying.
There are several characteristics that help identify an earwig.
- Earwigs are usually between 6 mm and 25 mm in length.
- Earwigs are primarily dark-brown in color.
- Earwigs have six legs, a long and slender body, and large pinchers on the end of its abdomen.
- Images of earwigs can be found from the National Pest Management Association »
Conducive Conditions for Earwigs
There are a few conditions that can increase the chances of an earwig infestation:
- Cracks in the foundation, siding, or window panes that serve as points of entry and allow insects to come in to the home.
- Areas within the home that are damp and warm, such as a basement or garage.
- Plants that cause shady, moist areas and excess vegetation or mulch around the home.
- Old tree stumps, branches, and stick piles in the yard or around the outside of the house.
Earwig Control Tips for Homeowners
There are several things homeowners can do to prevent and reduce earwig infestations:
- Organize and clean up storage space in basements and garages, especially if they are warm and moist.
- Trim back or remove plants that cause shady, moist areas and excess vegetation or mulch around the home.
- Inspect the exterior of your home, including the foundation, siding, windows, and doorways regularly to ensure there are no points of entry.
An earwig infestation can quickly increase and become a permanent issue. If you have had more than a single outdoor sighting or are already seeing these pests in your garage or home call Action Pest Services for a customized treatment plan.
“Great service, fair price and they work with you. Anytime we've had a problem they were able to help us quickly and very effectively. I highly recommend Action Pest Services.”- Jess E.
“Matt is professional and friendly, great with kids and pets, and obviously cares about the work he performs. Today it was ants and Matt spent over an hour treating inside and outside the house. Action is hands down one of the best.”- Bryan K.
“The whole staff is very nice and very personable. They will walk you through the different pest control programs they offer. If a problem comes up in-between services, they are quick to come back out and treat. I have been a customer for over 8 years.”- Jenn B.