Action Pest Services provides treatment for millipedes. Millipedes are long, slender pests, with between 30-333 pairs of legs. Millipedes are common throughout most of the world and in the United States there are over 1,000 species. Some species are able to release a toxin that can cause blisters and rashes in humans and pets, and an infestation can be unsightly.
There are several characteristics that help identify a millipede.
- Millipedes are usually between 2 mm and 155 mm in length.
- Millipedes can be dark, brown, red, tan, and even orange in color
- Millipedes have long, slender, cylindrical bodies with many pairs of legs and antenna.
- Images of millipedes can be found from the National Pest Management Association »
Conducive Conditions for Millipedes
There are a few conditions that can increase the chances of a millipede infestation:
- Old tree stumps, branches, or stick piles around the outside of the house.
- Plants that cause shady, moist areas and excess vegetation or mulch around the home.
- Warm, humid areas with excess moisture near food sources, especially bathrooms or basements.
- Cracks in the foundation, siding, or window panes that serve as points of entry and allow insects to come in to the home.
How to Get Rid of Millipedes
There are several things homeowners can do to prevent and reduce millipede infestations in their home. Most of the actions homeowners can take involve disrupting the preferred environment of these insects. Most notable, trim back or remove plants that cause shady, moist areas and excess vegetation or mulch around the home. Additionally, steps should be take to repair and dehumidify any areas of the home with excess, built-up moisture.
While making your home less hospitable to millipedes will certainly help them stay way it is also important to inspect the exterior of your home, including the foundation, siding, windows, and doorways regularly to ensure there are no points of entry. The more difficult it is for insects to come into your home the less you will find.
A millipede infestation can quickly increase and become a permanent issue. If you have had more than a single outdoor sighting or are already seeing these pests in your garage or home call Action Pest Services for a customized treatment plan today.
“Great service, fair price and they work with you. Anytime we've had a problem they were able to help us quickly and very effectively. I highly recommend Action Pest Services.”- Jess E.
“Matt is professional and friendly, great with kids and pets, and obviously cares about the work he performs. Today it was ants and Matt spent over an hour treating inside and outside the house. Action is hands down one of the best.”- Bryan K.
“The whole staff is very nice and very personable. They will walk you through the different pest control programs they offer. If a problem comes up in-between services, they are quick to come back out and treat. I have been a customer for over 8 years.”- Jenn B.