Action Pest Services provides treatment for spiders. Spiders are arachnids, not insects, which means that they have eight legs and a body that is split into two parts. Many different species of spiders can be found throughout the United States, but some of the main species that can become pests are the black widow, brown recluse, and wolf spiders. Although most spiders are not harmful to humans, some species have venomous and or painful bites.
There are several characteristics that help identify a black widow, brown recluse, or wolf spider.
- Black widows bodies are between 3 – 10 mm in length, they are black or reddish-black in color, and are known for their distinct hour-glass shaped red marking on the underside of their abdomen.
- Brown recluse’s bodies are between 6 – 12 mm in length, they are brown in color, and have a darkly colored violin-shaped marking on their back.
- Wolf spiders bodies are between 6 – 34 mm in length, they are mostly brown, and have light-colored or yellow markings.
- Images of spiders can be found from the National Pest Management Association »
Conducive Conditions for Spiders
There are a few conditions that can increase the chances of a spider infestation:
- Plants that cause shady, moist areas and excess vegetation or mulch around the home that may harbor insects.
- Warm, humid areas with excess moisture near food sources, especially bathrooms or basements.
- Cracks in the foundation, siding, or window panes that serve as points of entry and allow insects to come in to the home.
Spider Control Tips for Homeowners
There are several things homeowners can do to prevent and reduce spider infestations:
- Trim back or remove plants that cause shady, moist areas and excess vegetation or mulch around the home.
- Repair and dehumidify any areas of the home with excess, built-up moisture.
- Inspect the exterior of your home, including the foundation, siding, windows, and doorways regularly to ensure there are no points of entry.
A spider infestation can quickly increase and become a permanent issue. If you have had more than a single outdoor sighting or are already seeing these pests in your garage or home call Action Pest Services for a customized treatment plan.
“Great service, fair price and they work with you. Anytime we've had a problem they were able to help us quickly and very effectively. I highly recommend Action Pest Services.”- Jess E.
“Matt is professional and friendly, great with kids and pets, and obviously cares about the work he performs. Today it was ants and Matt spent over an hour treating inside and outside the house. Action is hands down one of the best.”- Bryan K.
“The whole staff is very nice and very personable. They will walk you through the different pest control programs they offer. If a problem comes up in-between services, they are quick to come back out and treat. I have been a customer for over 8 years.”- Jenn B.