Action Pest Services provides treatment for springtails. Springtails are small, hairy, jumping insects that sometimes can be found around air-conditioning units and pools. Springtails are known as “snow fleas” to some but are not actually fleas and they do not bite humans or pets. Springtails are common throughout the United States, and are active in the winter at the base of trees after a snow melt. Springtails feed on decaying vegetation around the home but can often find their way inside. Although springtails are not harmful to humans, an infestation can be unsightly and annoying.
There are several characteristics that help identify a springtail.
- Springtails are usually between 1 mm and 2 mm in length.
- Springtails are commonly black or brown in color.
- Springtails have short, oblong shaped bodies, with six legs and antenna.
- Images of springtails can be found from the National Pest Management Association »
Conducive Conditions for Springtails
There are a few conditions that can increase the chances of a springtail infestation:
- Plants that cause shady, moist areas and excess vegetation or mulch around the home.
- Warm, humid areas with excess moisture near food sources, especially bathrooms or basements.
- Cracks in the foundation, siding, or window panes that serve as points of entry and allow insects to come in to the home.
Springtail Control Tips for Homeowners
There are several things homeowners can do to prevent and reduce springtail infestations:
- Trim back or remove plants that cause shady, moist areas and excess vegetation or mulch around the home.
- Repair and dehumidify any areas of the home with excess, built-up moisture.
- Inspect the exterior of your home, including the foundation, siding, windows, and doorways regularly to ensure there are no points of entry.
A springtail infestation can quickly increase and become a permanent issue. If you have had more than a single outdoor sighting or are already seeing these pests in your garage or home call Action Pest Services for a customized treatment plan.
“Great service, fair price and they work with you. Anytime we've had a problem they were able to help us quickly and very effectively. I highly recommend Action Pest Services.”- Jess E.
“Matt is professional and friendly, great with kids and pets, and obviously cares about the work he performs. Today it was ants and Matt spent over an hour treating inside and outside the house. Action is hands down one of the best.”- Bryan K.
“The whole staff is very nice and very personable. They will walk you through the different pest control programs they offer. If a problem comes up in-between services, they are quick to come back out and treat. I have been a customer for over 8 years.”- Jenn B.